Friday, December 27, 2013

End-of-Week...Whitaker? (12/27/13)



 
Hey HEY you crazy roleplaying cats out there! Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. Above you see images of a Ghost Dog roleplaying game. Yes, Ghost Dog. That movie starring Forest Whitaker where he's some sort of modern urban samurai, apparently. I was digging around in the dusty shelves of a local "comics and sundry" store that sells new and used RPG books, seeking treasure. And I came across this gem. I flipped through it, but didn't have time for a thorough read. So I can't tell you anything about it as far as the mechanics are concerned. It looked fairly bland in terms of production quality, with some pretty grainy stills from the movie scattered throughout.
 
I never saw the movie, so I can't discuss the quality of that, either. I just have the impression that Ghost Dog wasn't a great film. Perhaps I'm wrong. Can someone give me a review? Am I missing out on some hidden gem, a cult classic that deserved the RPG treatment?
 
ANYway, I DID find a VERY pristine copy of the Marsh/Cook Expert rulebook in the shelves! The guy at the register sold it to me for five dollars. Not bad! So that was a bit of a holiday treat for myself. Speaking of the holidays, I had a joyous time with the family, thank you very much for asking. I hope you all had similar!
 
As for this here suffering blog, I'll be doing an end-of-year post in the next few days. Just want to do something of a wrap up and consider what the next year may bring. As you've probably read here, I'm taking another indefinite break from roleplaying to free up time for other endeavors in 2014. But I might get up to some gaming here and there, read some RPG books, etc. So stay tuned, kids. Until then, happy gaming!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should watch Ghost Dog. It's a beautiful little film, slow-paced, with awesome characters. Urban samurai Ghost Dog may be, but don't expect any flashy action scenes. There is some action, but it's not the main focus of the movie. Honour and loyalty are big themes, as is friendship. There are a lot of hilarious moments and some that are quite surreal, like the guy who builds a boat on the roof of his apartment building. If you have ever seen Jarmusch's Dead Man and liked it, then Ghost Dog is definitely a movie for you.

    I'm doubtful about its qualities as an inspiration for an RPG, though. It's a very personal story and I don't know how well that translates into a RPG people want to play more than once.

    ReplyDelete