Friday, February 22, 2013

End-of-Week Non-Elmore (2/22/13)

 
Nope, no Larry art this week, folks. Instead, I'm putting up an image from a game system that's captured my interest again: the Dragon Age RPG.
 
At the moment, I'm feeling torn. While I'm on GMing hiatus, my mind's been able to relax and I've had time to consider what I would want to do when I return to running games. And my brain has gravitated to two game systems: Labyrinth Lord and Dragon Age. Neither is better, in my mind; they're just different, and would scratch different RPG itches for me.
 
For Labyrinth Lord, I've got a ton of materials to use besides just the rule book, as well as rules knowledge and a desire to run some Basic D&D-type adventures. I've also got my eye on using the Dawnforge setting, which is high fantasy for sure. I know, I mentioned in my 2013 resolution post that I was going to be working on my own campaign world, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Truth be told, the Dawnforge setting pushes all the right buttons for me, and any campaign world I would have created on my own would have stolen liberally from the setting (and some others) anyway.
 
When it comes to Dragon Age, its dark fantasy aspect is appealing. No faeries and unicorns, kids. I've enjoyed the setting when I've played the console game. A big draw for me is the mechanics of the game, which I find very interesting. The simple fact that it diverges so much from the d20-dominated, D&D-derived games is appealing. I think it might be good for me to try/learn a different game system.
 
Anyway, bottom line: I'm not stressing out about my divided attentions. I'm just going to be taking time to read through the materials I have and consider what I might want to do next in my GMing career.
 
Happy gaming, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment