Tuesday, February 18, 2014

D&D@40 Blog Hop: Days 15-18

Argh, Multi-armed Multitasking Monster! Run!
 
Yep, playing catch-up, kids. Sorry aboot that. Just been swamped. Between family, work, aspirations, and a whole lotta friggin' snow, it's been nutso!
 
Anyway, excuses over. Here's what I have to say about Days 15 through 18:
 
Day 15: What was the first edition you didn't enjoy. Why?
 
That would be 3rd Edition. Bleh. When 3rd came out, I had been outta the D&D loop for, well, many years. I of course was curious about how the game had changed from 2nd Edition, which was the last one I had played (and I hadn't played since before 2nd went OOP). I bought the new D&D and started to read...aaaaand was like "f*ck the WHAT?!" Feats? Can you say "needless complication"?

Well, I have to say that there's something to be said for how the context of your life at the time you're exposed to something has a big impact on your reactions. Like I said, I was out of the D&D and RPG loop in general when 3rd Edition came out. So I really wasn't in a place in my life where I had the time or the interest to get into the nitty gritty of learning the new rules.

Plus, there was probably some sort of nostalgia barrier I had erected, and rose-tinted glasses when it came to my wonderful roleplaying youth. Nothing would ever be the same when it came to roleplaying for me, because I was no longer that teenager who first experienced AD&D.

Day 16: Do you remember your first edition war? Did you win? ;)

Meh, never really got into edition wars. I like 4th Edition even less than 3rd, but I never gave anyone grief for playing either of those versions. If you love an edition, for whatever reason, I say go for it! Play, enjoy, have fun! Hey, if I had been a 13-year-old kid when I discovered 3rd or 4th edition, perhaps I would love them as much as I love 1st Edition AD&D.

Day 17: First time you heard D&D was somehow "evil."

Oh, I've already explored this in an early post in this Blog Hop, as well as other posts I've written in the past. Take a gander at those, please!

Day 18: First gaming convention you ever attended.

Never really did the convention thing, when it comes to the big conventions like GenCon or others big enough to actually be held at, you know, convention centers. The first real "convention" I ever attended wasn't until 2011, when the Troll Lord folks came to the East Coast for TrollCon East. It was a small event, but a convention nonetheless! Read about it HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment