Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Status Update: I don't know how to quit you, Dungeons & Dragons!

 
Greetings and salutations, fellow RPG-philes. Thought I'd check in with a good-old status update.
 
I've almost managed to shake a lingering monster-cold. Still have a bit of a cough, but the most annoying thing is the sore throat that's still hanging on. Seriously, you don't know how effortless swallowing is until the time when it feels like you're trying to ingest sharp-edged Legos. And I just don't get the sheer "physics" of sore throats. In the space of a few minutes the soreness can move from one side of the throat to the other, while you're just sitting there and not even swallowing. And sometimes the pain extends into the tongue. Ah well, it's almost gone, so whatever.
 
The good news is that I'm actually going to make it to my Wednesday night game at the FLGS tonight! I haven't run my current C&C campaign since the 24th of October (due to Superbitch Sandy and her crappy aftermath as well as my bout of plague). So I'm finally going to scratch the gaming itch!
 
Speaking of the itch, let me elaborate on the title of this post. As I lamented in a prior post, I'm still a victim of an unrelenting obsessive attachment to Dungeons & Dragons and its many clones. I'm still dreaming about running other systems and other genres besides fantasy (using Savage Worlds to run a cyberpunk or space opera game is still high on my RPG bucket list, and I'm reading through my copy of Heroes & Other Worlds and liking it a lot.) BUT there's always this rogue thought pattern that comes crashing back to the front of my mind, screaming "How dare you even THINK about running anything but D&D?!"

Yes, it does seem like my subconscious is totally fine with me being a player of other systems and other genres. It's me thinking of running something besides D&D that seems to induce an involuntary brain malfunction. Really strange. I'm trying to ruminate on this personal phenomenon but haven't made any headway. Might be time to head back to the shrink. Just need to find one willing to talk about Dungeons & Dragons. ;-)

All joking aside, I hope to return to some more substantial posting someday soon. As is the case with most folks this time of year, the holidays mess everything the hell up, so who knows when I can make good on that promise. I'll be in touch. Until then, happy gaming to all, and to all a good day!

2 comments:

  1. It's like going into a pool: just dive right in and don't think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone who "laments" his 'lack of posting,' you certainly post more often than some others who are supposed to be active! ROFL

    As for me, D&D is the only game system that interest me and even then, with my own "twist." You see, I'm not a gunpowder or spaceship person. No spaceships or gunpowder in my "worlds." Strictly Sword & Sorcery here. Swords, dragons and magic; science need not apply.

    Sorry I can't offer my sympathy for your dilemma! LOL

    But, as always, I'm looking forward to reading more . . . so keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete