Monday, December 24, 2012

A Blessed Yule to All!


It's been a tough year, with plenty more of the same-old "humanity's inhumanity to humanity." Hopefully, you and yours have made it through unscathed. For those who've been touched by dark times this year, my thoughts and prayers go out to you. May the coming year be kinder to us all.
 
I've been becoming more of a pragmatist as I get older, but there's still this stubborn core of daydreaming and hope within me. It's what made me hold out for some sort of miracle shift of consciousness with the ending of the 13th baktun on the Mayan calendar. It's also what never fails to make me disappointed by acts of dickheadedness, no matter how many times I see it or experience it. I never learn my lesson, according to loved ones, when it comes to being surprised by asshole-ish behavior. I guess I just continually hope that people will simply be civil. Well, I'll just keep trying to "be the change" and continue to present a positive face to others.   
 
But enough of gloom! I'm looking forward to Christmas tomorrow, mostly to see the reactions of my children to their gifts. My son in particular, for some time now, has been asking for a castle play set with associated giant ogre and dragon (sold separately of course)! A chip off the old block, perhaps? Anyway, we did get him those "Imaginext" toys, and he should pass out with joy when he opens them. My daughter, alas, is enchanted by My Little Pony, but apparently a lot of older nerds adore the Friendship is Magic cartoon. Just like LARPing, that particular bridge is too far for me.

Again, happy holidays to you and yours! Perhaps we'll all get some gaming goodies this year?

2 comments:

  1. Okay, just to get the "rotten" stuff out of the way: Never expect civility from Barbarians, my friend. A sad fact of life.

    As to better and brighter things; Glad to hear that your son is a "chip off the old block!" Congratulations to us all! D&D will live on! Great tidings indeed!

    Perhaps, one day, your daughter will "come around" to "our" way of thinking. Not that there's anything wrong with My Little Ponies! God bless her. ;)

    And I'll raised my glass with you, my friend: Here's to hoping EVERYONE has a better year, next year, than the last one. Life can ALWAYS be better, for everyone!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Merry Christmas to you!

    I can't remember how old your daughter in, but since she likes "My Little Pony," you might want to consider picking up the "My "Little Pony" comic book that just came out a few weeks ago. The guy who runs the comic shop I go to said that it's really good and he picked one up for his daughter.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete