Tuesday, March 15, 2011

D&D in the News: Salon.com Article

I can't write much right now, I'm in the midst of accepting job offers and writing some freelance web copy, etcetera. But a buddy of mine sent me a link to an article on Salon.com called "How Dungeons & Dragons Saved My Life." I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly yet, but any press is good press, eh?

This sort of thing, just like the recent D&D episode of Community, is the reason that I laugh so loud when I read blog posts about the "impending doom" of D&D and/or the roleplaying hobby. I don't understand why some people can't recognize the sheer hubris of those "D&D is going extinct" predictions. Who are we, no matter how steeped in the RPG scene we may be, to declare such a demise?

Maybe I'm not a purist. Maybe I don't care what rules mechanic is behind the current in-print, brand name D&D product. The point is, I don't see any evidence to justify all the rantings of the doomsayers. They're the roleplaying world's equivalent of the guy on the street wearing a "The End is Near! Repent!" sandwich board. These "prophets" need to spend less time navel-gazing, and maybe they'll have more fun when it comes to the hobby. Just sayin'...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I read that last week, I think. It's by the author of Fantasy Freaks & Gaming Geeks if anyone has heard of that book.

    The author has a pretty cool blog, too, that he updates once a week on "geek culture" topics: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/geek-pride

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martin, thanks for the additional info!

    ReplyDelete