Thursday, January 9, 2014

Obsession of the Week: The Prose Edda


I first learned of Snorri Sturluson in college, when I took a class on religion and mythology. It was the first semester of my freshman year, and the class was at 8 AM. For an 18 year old kid, that's basically the crack of dawn. I managed to stay away for most of the classes, thankfully (though there were days where the same classmate was waking me up at the end of the class). It was a wonderful class, and one of the required readings was Sturluson's Prose Edda.
 
You may have noticed in my post yesterday that I've become enamored with the Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok RPG. As is my wont, I've become obsessed with all aspects of the object of my obsession. This means that I absolutely had to dig out my copy of The Prose Edda from my home library. The copy of the book I got for that college class (lo those many years ago!) is still in good shape. I can't wait to dig into those tales again! If you haven't read The Prose Edda, treat yourself to this telling of Norse mythology!

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Yggdrassill RPG?

    http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/yggdrasill/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't already have one see if you can get a modern printing of Paul Du Chaillu's 'The Viking Age'.

    ReplyDelete