Sunday, April 8, 2012

D is for Dungeon

Could it be anything else? ;-)

So when I told one of my current players about running an old-school game using Labyrinth Lord, he said it would be cool to do some dungeon crawling again.




And I found myself assuring him that it would be more than just about dungeon crawling. There's another OSR sacred cow that I want to send to the butcher: that the focus of a Classic D&D campaign needs to be on dungeons.

Now granted, I personally do intend to feature some big dungeon crawl opportunities. But to tell the truth, I've never been too focused on getting characters down into the "mythic underworld." I haven't run too many dungeons over the years, and especially not megadungeons. My players have not scoured multiple levels of massive underground complexes on a regular basis. I've been much more fond of wilderness and city-based adventures.

But like I said, I want that to change this time around. Not to spill the beans too much, but I'll be running the awesome Stonehell Dungeon, and I also acquired the more recent Barrowmaze. I'm also brushing up on my resource depletion skills and keeping track thereof. Yes, I need to get better at keeping track of those torches that burn out and those supplies of rations. I can't wait to have some PC go into those dungeons, and see who returns to tell the tail, and who is never seen again...mwahahahaha!

1 comment:

  1. Runner-up for D is Dragonlance! I've posted in my testimonial about the part that DL played in my early gaming, and the following link I'm sharing because I'm so excited to read about another person who is giving DL some love:

    http://untimately.blogspot.com/2012/04/dragonlance.html

    ReplyDelete