Monday, December 28, 2015

Lost Post: I love Dragonlance, and I don't care who knows!


I'm about to wrap up the least productive writing year this blog has ever seen. Don't really feel great about it, but it is what it is. I have my reasons for my lack of attention. Long story short: I'm doing other things with my spare time other than gaming.

But gaming will always be on my mind and in my soul. Rest assured of that. Which means I will continue to occasionally haunt the roleplaying blogosphere and will post now and then here.

As for this soon-to-end year, I have some final plans: just for the proverbial shits and giggles, I'm going to post 40 posts this year, the year I turned 40. Please believe me when I say I didn't plan this out. That would just be too corny, even for me.

As one of my final 2015 posts, I've decided to dig out a post I started writing this year but never published. Call it a "lost post." I started it early in the year, and rereading it reminds me how one's priorities can change over the course of 365 days.

Here's the post:

I've put things off for too long.

I want to pay homage to the world of Krynn in campaign form. Not just from nostalgia, though that is part of it. No, I am truly inspired by the setting. I think it is definitely viable. And being inspired by a setting is what I need, to engage my full attention as a GM. Because as any long-term reader of this blog will tell you, I'm nothing if not riddled with Gamer ADD!

I tried to start a Dragonlance campaign once a few years back but didn't feel ready. But I feel it is now time.

Krynn needs a champion on the blogosphere, and I will take on that mantle!

So, how's this for a declaration: My choice for system mastery is Castles & Crusades! My choice for setting mastery is Dragonlance!


End post.

Wow, that was some hyperbolic stuff. How do I feel now? Well, I still love Dragonlance, and have since I was a kid. I won't ever apologize for that fact. The world may be a much-despised one among the grognard set, and perhaps the creative teams behind the setting did it a disservice over the years.

But I still want this blog, if and when I do write here, to be a haven for Dragonlance love.

As for C&C system mastery, well, I think I've had that for some time now. Even having not actually played using the rules for over a year, I'm very confident I could jump right back on that horse, no problem. I still think I would use that system to run an eventual Dragonlance campaign. It upholds the character archetypes that I still love to this day, and which are the solid backbone of the Dragonlance world.

Anyway, there you have it. A glimpse into the mind of this blogger. See you soon for another post!

5 comments:

  1. I get it! I think Dragonlance is great and I would definitely game in the setting. I've read several of the novels and I had high hopes for that animated Dragonlance movie. I'll be watching for these posts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, good sir! Always good to connect with a fellow Krynnophile!

      Delete
  2. ...are annoying if overdone, I won't disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://echoesofkrynn.blogspot.com/
    Just posting our link in case anyone wants to stop by

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dragonlance Board Game was my introduction to the setting; I'll always have a place in my heart for dragon riders and floating citadels and so forth. There's a lot there to like in the setting, even if one doesn't care for the novels (as is the case for me).

    Kender and Tinker Gnomes can be fun with the right type of player. If there's any concern that they might be abused, just ban them from the game.

    Ah, and now I'm having a random memory of my high school group's resident munchkin figuring out that, according to the 2e "Tales of the Lance" boxed set, one could play a minotaur ranger who could dual-wield halberds...

    ReplyDelete