Saturday, December 31, 2022

Chronicles of the Adventures in the Dune Imperium!

Cover art for Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium core rulebook

I have one of the few copies of the Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium core rulebook that were printed in 2001 by the long-defunct Last Unicorn Games. As a perennial, some might say addicted, patron of RPGs, it was one of the many games I own but have never played. But considering that the game was so short-lived (Last Unicorn was purchased by WOTC and the game ceased production) there wasn't much support for the game at any rate. 

The Last Unicorn version of the game was the first RPG based on the venerable sci-fi novel, and there wouldn't be another attempt at publishing a Dune RPG until the release of the similarly named Dune: Adventures in the Imperium almost 20 years later. 

To be honest, I believe it takes a group of people similarly steeped in the lore of Dune to truly co-create a deep and fulfilling campaign. In 2022, with the proliferation of web-based roleplaying options, I think it is much more feasible to have such an experience than was possible in 2001. I'm considering running such an online game at some point, as I believe the version of the 2D20 system used by the recent Dune game lends itself well to the limitations of online play. In other words, the system seems to be flexible, intuitive, and "light" enough for online play (verses games with more crunch...not that you can't run crunchy games online...I personally don't have the time or patience to do so).

I was going to do my usual end-of-year "artstravaganza" to end 2022 but...I don't feel like I have to do it this year...or maybe ever again. This last year was a good one for me in my never-ending quest to keep the roleplaying spark alive in my life. I may not have chronicled it much here on this old blog that I keep propped up and limping along by the skin of its teeth, but...my gaming situation is good, I'm content, satisfied even. It's a feeling I need to explore and savor more often. 

Needless to say I've got a lot on my mind when it comes to life and roleplaying these days. I'm definitely feeling nostalgic, but also simultaneously eager for what the new year ahead will bring. It almost makes me wish I was as prescient as Paul Atreides. On second thought, considering what happened to him...maybe not!

I'm looking forward to gaming in 2023 and beyond, in the world of Dune and elsewhere!

1 comment: