Monday, August 13, 2018

Salton Seekers: My Frankensteinian Labyrinth Lord Campaign


Okay, so I'm doing a soft reboot of the Basic D&D campaign I started earlier this year. My group of old friends and I sorta stalled on the roleplaying for a while. But we're all basically back on a more normal adult responsibility schedule, so I'm deciding to kick things off again.

Also, while I love the pure nostalgia factor of using the B/X rules, I have so much stuff for Labyrinth Lord, from the referee screen to game supplements, that it made sense to shift over to using LL. As any OSR follower worth their salt knows, there's enough differences between B/X and LL to necessitate moving from one rule set to the other.

I'm still using the city of Salton I created as the foundation of the campaign. I'm letting players keep characters or create new ones, with all characters moving up to level 2 (based on prior play and XP gained). Just need to transfer characters to LL sheets!

As for the campaign world itself, I was primarily using the Dwimmermount world of Telluria as the basis for the campaign, and using some homebrew stuff tacked on (including Stonehell Dungeon). I've decided to move things over to a world I call "Æarth." I know, clever aren't I?

To pull back the curtain a bit, here's a list of older and new OSR products I'm using so far to cobble together my Frankensteinian campaign:
  • Dolmenwood (from the pages of the Wormskin zine)
  • Barrowmaze
  • Isle of the Unknown
  • Frostbitten and Mutilated
  • Blackmarsh (and possibly the larger Points of Light campaign setting)
  • Stonehell Dungeon
  • Maybe Dwimmermount again, if the characters head far enough south...
Okay, that's all for now! I'll be posting some session recaps as we go along! Happy gaming, y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I look forward to reading about your campaign. We haven't played for months... one player moved to Vancouver, another lives an hour away, and then my wife and I have been traveling a lot for work, making it difficult to find the right time to schedule something. Luckily another game I play in is in a pretty strict monthly schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin! May the gaming gods smile on you again soon!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, sounds groovy. Yes, updates please!

    ReplyDelete