Friday, July 4, 2014

D&D Starter Set: I Gots Mines!


So, the best little FLGS in South Jersey, All Things Fun, was open today...and they're one of the stores that got the D&D Starter Set early...AND I told them a few weeks ago to set one aside for me...AND I was able to head on over there today to grab mines!
 
I want to state this right now: today, I am declaring full independence from skepticism, doubt, and edition wars as I begin to pour through the books in the box! I will approach this new edition with an open mind, as I read through the contents.
 
But first, let me take you through a brief look at said contents! I have to tell you, I felt like a kid as I sat on my living room floor, tearing open the box and digging into it!Whether that warm and fuzzy feeling will persist remains to be seen.
 
Here's some pics from the unboxing:
 
 
The dice. Nothing spectacular, but functional of course. I rolled the 20 and it came up a 19! Not bad for a first roll.
 
 
The rulebook! I flipped through. It has less pages than the adventure in the box, which felt...weird to me. Hmm, or it could be a good thing.
 
 
There's the rules and the adventure books. And the pregen characters.
 
 
Here's what I thought was just an advert...but the other side is a blank character sheet that you can use, of course, for photocopying.
 
 
And here's a bit of filler cardboard...hmm...not sure how I feel about that. I guess it keeps the contents from flopping around too much. But still...the box DID feel light to me when I picked it up. But that doesn't mean anything I suppose. And anyway, I can print out the Basic Rules and put that puppy in the box! Maybe throw some minis and pencils and more dice in there for good measure, and take the neat little bundle to game night! The room in the box calls out to be filled!
 
 
And here's a couple decent illos from the books! I like the bewildered look on the half-orc's face!
 
Anyway, just wanted to give you a taste. I'm going to do some reading tonight, for sure! Can't wait! I'll report in with more detail as soon as I can.
 
Happy 4th of July, one and all!

2 comments:

  1. Apparently the filler cardboard is there because the box must be a minimum thickness in order to display properly at retailers like Target and Wal-Mart. If it's too narrow, it'll get lost on the shelves. The science of retailing strikes again...

    ReplyDelete